AoG Editor Mike is barely able to sleep, with DC’s non-reboot event Rebirth coming out next week. To refresh everyone’s memory banks, DC has been in a constant state of reboot for most of the 2000s:
- 2005- Infinite Crisis
- 2008- Final Crisis
- 2011- Flashpoint
- 2015- Convergence
I won’t get into too much analysis and nitpicking and deconstruction of the DC hype, instead, I’d like to hear Mike’s take on things, because he is pretty much the demographic DC is looking to recapture. And, next week, we will sit down with Mike again and get his reaction post Rebirth one-shot.
- Do you think it will be a reboot? I think certain elements will be rebooted, much like New 52 tried to keep elements from the pre-Flashpoint DCU.
- Do you care about anything post Flashpoint? I’ve enjoyed a lot of the Batman stuff. Specifically Batman Eternal and Batman & Robin Eternal. Justice League hasn’t been bad, but its reliance on the Big 7 has not thrilled me.
- Did DC drop the ball post-Covergence, which hinted at the returns for many characters that have been missing in the post-Flashpoint universe? Yes! If it had carried through some of the pre-Flashpoint elements.
- Guesses on who will die? My gut says a Flash. A Flash has been killed in Crisis and Zero Hour. In addition Flash vanished after Infinite Crisis, and Flashpoint was all the fault of a Flash.
- Which characters will return? Again, my gut says a Flash. A new Flash appeared as a result of Crisis and Barry Allen returned in Final Crisis. Booster Gold and/or Rip Hunter-you can’t have a multiverse threatening Crisis without Booster. Also Ted Kord Blue Beetle obviously returns as he stars in the new BB book.
- Do you think it will last two years? It depends. If Rebirth turns out to be another DCYou in New52 clothing, no. DC will implode in less than two years. If Rebirth is indeed a Rebirth along the lines of Green Lantern: Rebirth and Flash: Rebirth, then yes.
- Is the commitment to legacy contradictory to the commitment to the “freshness and newness of the New 52.“? Yes. I think DC has learned its lesson that legacy is the backbone of their comics line.
- Any clues on what the Big Secret will be that tackles the very nature of the DC Universe? Someone has been manipulating time since the original Crisis.
- Batman’s mystery? If they’re smart, they tie it back to the letter from Flashpoint Thomas Wayne that Barry Allen delivers to Bruce at the end of Flashpoint.
- The new evil? Some new multiverse level threat on the lines of the Time Trapper, Anti-Monitor, Brainiac, etc.
Come back here in one week, when Mike will give us his reactions to the Rebirth one-shot, possibly with spoilers, as he answers these questions:
- Does it feel like a reboot?
- Favorite moments?
- Biggest absence or disappointment?
- Was the death significant?
- What about the returning characters?
- The new evil?
- Batman’s mystery?